It's been a while since I've posted. You would think I'm having a hard time coming up with six more interesting facts about myself! Not so. I still have a few maybe not the ten. Writing time has escaped me lately. So without anymore adieu...
# 4
I haven’t been the smartest kid on the block when it comes to loving men. I can still hear my mother’s voice the day I married Johnny.
“Well, you finally got it right.” she said.
Much as I would have preferred her to pick another time, or find a more tactful way of letting me know ‘I did good’, there was no arguing with her. She was right, this time:)
It’s not like I purposely connected with the wrong ones in the past. I didn’t wake up one morning and say, ‘Okay, up and at it, I’m going to find me a man who will break my arm and mess around with other women and when that relationship doesn’t work because it’s too charged with negative emotion, I’ll search the bars for a man with no emotion, better yet find one incapable of having lasting attachments.’
No, it didn’t exactly happen like that but only with hind-sight has the door opened for me to see the clues I had missed or worse yet chosen to ignore. And you know what? I wouldn’t change any of it except maybe I’d nip and tuck a few years off of each bad relationship. I tend to not know when to give up. Other than that I believe more good than bad has come out of my choices. Julian being at the top of the list.
I could end this essay with something profound like, ‘Because I experienced the bad I was able to recognize a good one when Johnny made a grand entrance into my life,’ but that wouldn’t be the truth. Life isn’t as black and white as that. I’d like to say I was smart to have known he was the right one and take some kudos for discovering love can happen at first sight, but that wouldn’t be the truth either. I would have had to have been a certifiable moron, blind in both eyes and deaf as a stone not to have been bowled over by his rightness for me. My mother can back me up on this one.
Marrying Johnny and living happily ever after isn’t a case of me being smarter. It’s about timing. It’s about being who we are today. It’s about not putting life on hold. It’s about letting go and free-falling into love.
Friday, June 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You've said it beautifully. Your last paragraph is a truth many fail to recognize.
(And free-falling into love is awesome)
I keep checking for Fact #5.. I have enjoyed reading the other 4. I'm and anxioualy awaiting my trip to CA. and seeing all the family.
Post a Comment