8:45 a.m.
I’m thinking writing a novel is too big a job, too hard a job, too demanding of my time. And, besides it shouldn’t feel like a job. It should feel mystical and empowering watching images from my mind flow onto paper; or so I thought before I decided to become a working writer.
The key word is work. Working on the plot, working on character development, working on the outline, working on the first draft, the second draft, the third, fourth and fifth. All the while continuing to learn the craft and networking with other aspiring authors and some published ones who are generous with their time and advice. The learning and the networking is the fun part of the work.
Dennis our boot-camp 1500 words a day or cry teacher says if he can write a novel (he’s written several) than anyone can.
Most days I believe him and man he is good with motivation and encouragement. He’s the best.
So I keep on that undulating road that sees some days with 0 word counts and some days with a count in the 1800 to 2000 range. My joy of writing keeps pace.
9:20 a.m. (after deep breathing)
I’m thinking I can do this. I can write this novel. And, although the world isn’t sitting around waiting for it---I am. I’ve been waiting for it for years and can’t wait any longer.
Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Now, Chris, you had me going with the the 8:45 a.m. beginning, thank goodness 9:20 came quickly for me.
I am impatiently waiting to read the novel I know you are going to finish. I'm glad you can't wait any longer!!
One of the reason I write short stories AND novels is for the quick satisfaction finishing a story gives me. Having my short stuff published at The Wild Rose Press is perfect incentive for me to keep going on my novels. Just a taste of success to whet my appetite for more.
You can do it.
Post a Comment