
photo - First Day of Big School - Grade One
Today I wrote a collection of melancholy, sentimental reflections. A lot of mother thoughts. One minute you're changing diapers and the next your child is a teenager. Julian is thirteen today. He is so excited to have his voice changing and new hair sprouting all over his body. I want to stay in the moment, and slow life down while he wants to race ahead. His race started when he decided to enter the world two and a half months premature. And now, he is a teenager.
I want to share what I wrote in his birthday card (it's a big homemade card) Those of you who know Julian will understand the pride I have in him and how deserving he is of it.
Dear Mr. Thirteen Year Old;
As your mother I want to say the time has gone by too fast since you made your grand entrance January 8th, 1994 at 3:25 p.m. weighing a whopping 1 kg. 270 grams. And, now here you are already a teenager.
As your admirer I want to say every minute of every day is wonderful watching you grow and develop into such a nice young man. And, handsome too!
As a recorder of life I want to tell you some of the things I’ve noticed and love about you:
I love the way you look at the world. You have an understanding of things well beyond your years of life. You always have. Much as I don’t want you to be a lawyer, I can see you being a good one. You would make a great mediator and a fighter for justice.
I love your sense of humor. You like to play and I hope you never lose the capacity to be playful. Knowing how to laugh makes life lighter. Not taking yourself too seriously makes you approachable and likable.
I love your sensitivity. You notice what is happening around you and you reach out when people are feeling sad.
I love your openness to new experiences. You love to travel and try new things. Maybe next time you return to Oaxaca you will even try eating the grasshoppers.
You are a person with integrity and a good heart. It is a pleasure to spend time with you.
I have never had to give you much advice. Your natural instincts guide you well. Keep paying attention to them, they know right from wrong and good from bad.
I am so very proud of you and I love you very much.
Happy Birthday, Julian And Many Many More

No comments:
Post a Comment