Monday, December 18, 2006

Fun Reading

I’m reading---a complicated kindness--- by Miriam Toews. Until I lucked in at the used bookstore this past Saturday by arriving minutes after someone had dropped off some interesting looking titles, I had never heard of Miriam Toews and now she’s my new favourite author. And eh, she’s Canadian, too-boot.

a complicated kindness, is written in the first person not an easy point of view to write in and, hold a reader's attention. Too much--- I, I, I, can get pretty tiring. It’s also a monologue, so no quotations yet it’s easy to follow the thread of who is doing the talking. I’m so impressed with the writing and this makes me realize how I need to start making more time for reading. Lately, my reading has been magazines that I hope to write for and books on the craft of writing. Reading for pure pleasure was lagging behind on my priority list.

So one of my early New Year resolutions is that wherever I go a book will be tucked in my purse. It will help to pass the time while I queue up in the bank or lately at the gas station. Would you believe the whole Southern Baja Peninsula has run out of gas twice in the last month? You would? Oh, that’s right, I’m living in a third world country.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read this lady but I will get one of her books to read on the Cruise.

Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

The chicken scenes did me in (put me off), but I am getting another one, the story of the two women that live at 'Half-a-Life'. Your luck just passed itself to me, thanks, Chris!