JULY 5, 2002
Some of you know that today is our 5th wedding anniversary. Some of you will remember the great time we had at Eganridge before and after our wedding ceremony. Our honeymoon continues, not in that misted eyes sort of way but in an a eyes wide open you have me forever, chuckles and yucks included, honest way.
Don’t think deer in the headlights when I say eyes wide open. We’ve had no scary surprises. There are, some advantages to meeting the love of your life when you’re older and I want to say wiser, but more experienced is probably the better wording.
For one thing by this stage of life you’ve learned it’s not the end of the world if you don’t agree with your partner about something. It hasn’t always stopped Johnny or I (okay, mostly me) from pushing our point of view to the limit but an even better part of bringing more experience into a relationship is you’ve learned it is impossible to sway another person to think like you do, so when you catch yourself at it you know enough to stop.
Older more experienced also does away with getting your knickers in a knot about the real and imagined minor hurts. You’ve already lived through people leaving by death and divorce and been in the rocky boat of health worries to be able to sift through what really matters and what to just let go of.
As an example, does it really matter that Johnny’s playing golf in the men’s league on our 5th wedding anniversary and won’t be home until late. Of course not, seriously---it doesn’t---I mean that :))
See, the advantage of meeting the love of your life when you’re older is you’ve also learned how to be flexible and the word compromise is no longer a bad word in your vocabulary. We had a great early anniversary dinner last night and tonight I’ll light candles and chill some champagne and when he comes home tired from a long hot day of golf, I’ll be waiting with a smile on my face practicing a virtue I’m not sure any amount of experience will bring to me---Patience.
Happy 4th of July to all our American family and friends and a belated Happy Canada Day for us Canucks!

3 comments:
You pretty much gave an accurate account of marriage, the lasting kind. I actually understood the golf thing and the patience. . .
Happy Anniversary! Forgot you were Canadian for a moment - Happy Canada Day, though belatedly.
Grandma used to say to me that life is hard and with a gentle sigh say 'Johnny, it ain't easy'. Well Grandma was right most all of the time but for Chris, Julian and I our life has been a beautiful ride. Sure there are bumps in the road but nothing that gets us off track. These past 5 years have been exciting to say the least. Chris, Julian and I have lived life with full steam ahead. We've traveled to some wonderful parts of the world that I never in my wildest dreams could have ever imagined doing. And soon we'll do it again up in the 'great white north' of Canada and leave the horrid hot days and nights of Baja California Sur, Mexico for a while.
Life is loving. Loving is living. For you Chris, I give it all. It's easy to love you and to live with you. Like Grandma said, life can be hard, but it would be harder to love and live without.
Johnny your Grandma was a wise woman. All your Cousins will tell you that as will your last two remaining uncles( by marriage)
Post a Comment